Friday, August 11, 2023

Alex mail 8-11-2023 "Vamos a... Provo!"

 


Hi everyone!!

   I hope you all are doing great! Week 1 of the MTC has been AMAZING!! I found out last Friday that because my Visa hasn't arrived yet I'd be getting switched to the Provo MTC instead of Mexico City, but it's been awesome so far! I was a little bummed at first that I don't get to go to Mexico quite yet, but I definitely know that Provo is where the Lord needs me for my missionary training and I'm really excited to get there in person next week on Wednesday! There are definitely some pluses to Provo already and I know it'll be a great experience.

   I was set apart as a missionary this last Sunday and it was such a cool experience! I know that I've truly been called by God to preach his word to his children and while it's definitely humbling and daunting, I know I can do it with my Savior's help! Sometimes it can be easy to choose to look at all the things I'm giving up and missing out on, but I know that serving these next 2 years will be the greatest experience of my life and nothing is more important! I can't wait to share the joy and blessings the gospel brings with the people of Mexico.

   Monday was my first day of online MTC and classes were super great! Our first class was a big workshop with all the new missionaries that started that same day and there were 715 of us! It's so cool to know that so many people are devoting their lives to this great work and that brought me a lot of comfort. In the afternoon I got to meet my companion, Elder Horoba, and our district (the other missionaries we have class with) in our first class together that afternoon. Elder Horoba is awesome! He's from Sandy, Utah and he's just super locked in and wants to work hard to become a great missionary. Our district is super amazing as well and we've had some good laughs but also some really spiritual moments. We usually have 2 main classes a day, 1:30-4:30 and 6-9pm, and our big workshop and I'm learning a ton!

   Tuesday we had our first Spanish class in the morning from 10-11 that we also have every day now. It hasn't been too tough yet we've mostly just done a lot of basic stuff that I've already had some practice with but I know its gonna ramp up quick haha. One thing from these lessons that's really stuck out to me is that the gift of tongues is real! I know that as I work to help others and serve first, God will help me learn the language so I can teach effectively. Tuesday night we also watched a previously recorded devotional from Elder Christofferson and it was super spiritual! He talked about what Christ's sacrifice truly means for us and how he is our redeemer. Knowing more deeply what Christ did for me personally has definitely motivated me more to do his work!

   Wednesday and Thursday classes were both super good and I learned a ton about how to teach with the Spirit and how to form genuine connections with those we teach. Our main purpose as missionaries is to invite all to come unto Christ, and I know that as I focus on that, the rest will fall into place. One scripture that has really stuck with me this week is 3rd Nephi 5:13 in the Book of Mormon, which says "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life". This means a ton to me as a new missionary and I know that as I just focus on this, God will take care of the rest!

   Today was P-Day and it was good to get out of the house a little bit haha. I was able to go to practice with my old team, play some volleyball and basketball with the friends, and go to the temple to do baptisms with some friends as well. I'm super grateful for them and the great influence they've been in my life! love you all!

   I leave for the Provo MTC next Wednesday and even though it'll be hard saying goodbye, I'm ready to jump all in and get to work!

Invitation for the Month: Each month I'm gonna invite y'all to do something alongside me to help us become more like Christ!

This month's: SMILE!! I know it may sound simple but work each day to make a more diligent effort to smile and see the good in your day! I promise that as you work to be just a little happier you will see God's hand more in your life!

Word of the Week: Jesucristo (Jesus Christ) Jesus Christ is central to all that we do! He is the reason God's plan is possible and the only way back to Him! I know he is our Savior, died for each one of us, and lives again!

Pictures:

1. Facetiming my boy Elder Sainsbury!

2. Temple with the friends

3. & 4. Setting Apart







No comments:

Post a Comment